White Rice with Vegetables: Arroz Blanco con Verduras
I like to vary the colors and textures of a comida, and for this meal I would choose a white rice dish such as this one, rather than repeating the red tomato base of the soup course above. This recipe, prepared like a risotto, is made especially flavorful by the addition of cream cheese, called queso filadelfia after the best-selling name brand.
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup rice, soaked in warm water, rinsed thoroughly and allowed to dry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably corn oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 green onions or scallions, including green part, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-2 serrano chiles
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 sprig epazote (optional)
- 1 cup cooked or thawed corn kernels
- salt to taste
In a blender, puree 1/2 cup milk with the cream cheese and set aside. In a medium-size heavy-bottomed saucepan or cazuela, heat the oil and saute the rice, stirring, until it forms clumps. Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms and chile and continue to saute, stirring, until the rice separates into individual grains.
Add the water or broth and epazote , with salt to taste, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the water has just been absorbed. Add the cup of milk that was not blended with the cheese, cover again, and continue to cook over low heat until the milk has been absorbed.
Remove from heat, stir in corn, pour the cheese mixture over all, cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Stir and serve.