Guerrero Style Green Pipian Pozole: Pozole Verde con Pipian de Guerrero
Pumpkin seeds, the characteristic ingredient of green pipian, add an appetizing textural dimension to this pozole, and the poblano chiles and chard that are blended with them provide a bright combination of color and flavor.
- One recipe Basic White Pozole
- 4 poblano chiles, seeds and stems removed
- 8 large Swiss chard leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 large romaine lettuce leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ pounds pumpkin seeds without shells, lightly toasted on a comal, griddle, or dry pan
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 whole clove
- pinch cumin
- salt to taste
- 1 small head lettuce, shredded
- 5 limes, cut into quarters
- 4-5 serrano chiles, chopped
- a small bowl of oregano
- 20 4" tortillas, fried until crisp
Cook Basic White Pozole according to recipe directions.
When the pozole corn and meat are almost tender, place the chiles, chard, lettuce leaves, pumpkin seeds, garlic, clove and cumin in a blender with enough of the pozole cooking water to move the blades. Blend until smooth.
Add the puree along with salt to taste, to the pozole. Continue cooking another few minutes to incorporate the flavors.
Serve with shredded lettuce, lime wedges, chopped serrano chiles, oregano and fried tortillas. Serves 10.