Nopal Salad: Ensalada de Nopalitos
The market ladies in Puebla sell this salad ready-made, ladling it into plastic bags to "take-out." The basic recipe consists of nopales, green onions and cilantro; other ingredients, such as tomatoes, can be added to taste. I like to dress the salad lightly with a little bit of olive oil and lime juice, although many people do not. It can be used in tacos or as a garnish on tostadas, and is a good accompaniment to grilled meat, chicken or fish.
- 3 cups diced nopales, cooked until tender and rinsed under cold water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup diced radishes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled, dried oregano leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 serrano chiles, finely chopped (optional)
Place the nopales in a salad bowl with the other vegetables and the cilantro. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper, and pour over all. Toss to blend well.