Zacatecas Style Enchiladas: Enchiladas Zacatecanos
The word "zacatecano" used to describe a dish quite often indicates that it contains the combination of poblano chiles and cream.
- 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil as necessary
- 4 large poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup Mexican crema, creme fraiche or heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or farmer cheese
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ pound pork loin, cooked and shredded
- 1 small head lettuce
Soft fry the tortillas in oil, making sure they do not get crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside.
Tear the poblano chiles into pieces, place in blender. Add cream and cheese to blender. Saute the garlic and onion in vegetable oil and add to blender. Puree the contents until smooth, pour into a saucepan and heat over medium flame until just bubbly. Add salt to taste if desired.
Dip each tortilla in the poblano cream sauce, fill with pork and roll up. Place enchiladas on serving plate, pour remaining sauce over them and top with shredded lettuce. Serve immediately. Serves 6.