Living  |  See all articles tagged doing-business legal

Know The Law In Mexico - Changes In Immigration And IMSS Requirements

Adriana Perez Flores

When Immigration or IMSS decide to make changes to rules and or requirements, these are usually very minor, such as income amounts, and the cost of the actual documents. However, over the past two months - June and July, 2006 -both IMSS and Immigration have made a one change each that can affect people a little more than what is listed above. If you are well informed, these changes will not be much of an issue.

Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social - IMSS

The change to IMSS is the requirement of a certain type of birth certificate. Most birth certificates are the newer shorter forms available today. The problem with these is the fact that the parent's names are not listed. Mexico names their citizens with both parents' names - paternal and maternal - and IMSS wants to do the same with the individual foreigners signing up. Without those names on your birth certificate, they cannot name you the way their system requires. Therefore, beginning in July, 2006, they will accept only a translated long version of your birth certificate. So if you are thinking of applying, pull out the birth certificate you have and make sure your parents' names are listed. If they are not, you will need to obtain the correct one they are asking for; otherwise IMSS will deny you the service.

Please note, these changes should appliy to the whole Republic of Mexico, but sometimes these changes are simply one way of the local delegation's interpretation of the law. This may not apply to other states and or cities. Contact someone local to your area to find out if this is applicable there. We are located in the Guadalajara, Jalisco area of Mexico.


Immigration has set out a new rule for first time FM2 applicants. For those of you who already have your FM2s this is not required. It maybe in the future, but right now it is required of new applicants only. They are now asking that you have your Mexican CURP (Clave Unica de Registro de Población) number. This is a type of Federal I.D. number similar to a social security number, but without the tax implications. The numbers for the Mexican Tax system are called RFCs (Registro Federal de Causante). Any local accountant should be able to obtain this number on your behalf for a small fee. They will require your birth certificate (don't worry about the birth certificate IMSS requires, any type of birth record is okay) and proof of residency. If you wait until you apply for the FM2 to obtain this, it will simply take longer to process, and so we recommend getting it beforehand. It should not take the accountant more than ten days or so to do, but ask first to make sure. Certain areas of Mexico may be longer or faster.

Editor's note: The account executive at Allen W. Lloyd obtained our CURP for us when we opened an account early in 2006.

Published or Updated on: January 1, 2006 by Adriana Perez Flores © 2006
Contact Adriana Perez Flores
All Tags